Discover the worldwide frenzy on National Mario Day! From power-ups to warp pipes, join the global gaming celebration with insights, memes, and epic moments. It’s-a party for every Mario fan!
- Date: March 10th
- Main Components: Mario, the most popular video game character in history, and his games, spin-offs, and media appearances
- Popularity: Mario has appeared in around 200 different games, selling over 262 million copies worldwide, and has influenced the gaming industry and culture for over four decades
- Pairings: Mario is often accompanied by his brother Luigi, his love interest Princess Peach, his dinosaur friend Yoshi, and his arch-enemy Bowser
- Variations: Mario has starred in various genres of games, such as platforming, racing, party, sports, and crossover, and has also appeared in movies, TV shows, comics, and merchandise
Have you ever played a video game with a cheerful, mustached plumber who jumps on enemies, collects coins, and rescues a princess? If you have, then you are probably familiar with Mario, the most popular video game character of all time. Mario has been entertaining players for over four decades with his iconic adventures and cheerful personality. He has also been a pioneer and a leader in the gaming industry, introducing new technologies, mechanics, and genres to the gaming world. But Mario is not just a gaming icon, he is also a cultural phenomenon, appearing in various media and influencing popular culture and art. In this article, we will explore the legacy and impact of Mario on the gaming world and beyond, and celebrate his special day: National Mario Day.
Related: Independence Day In Ghana 2023
History of Mario
National Mario Day is celebrated on March 10th every year, because March 10, written as “Mar10”, looks like Mario’s name. The holiday was created by clever fans, and was officially endorsed by Nintendo, the company that created Mario, in 2016. Nintendo often celebrates the day by offering discounts, promotions, and events related to Mario and his games.
But how did Mario become such a beloved and influential character? Let’s take a look at his origins and evolution. Mario was first introduced by Nintendo in 1981, in the arcade game Donkey Kong. He was not called Mario then, but simply “Mr. Jumpman”, and he was not a plumber, but a carpenter. He had to rescue his girlfriend Pauline from a giant ape named Donkey Kong, by jumping over barrels and climbing ladders. The design for the character was created by Shigeru Miyamoto, a legendary Japanese video game designer who also created other famous Nintendo franchises, such as The Legend of Zelda, Starfox, and Pikmin.
In 1983, Mario got his own game, Super Mario Bros., for the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES). He also got a new name, a new profession, and a new partner. He was now called Mario, after the landlord of Nintendo’s American office, Mario Segale. He was also changed from a carpenter to a plumber, to fit the theme of pipes and underground levels in the game. He also gained a younger brother, Luigi, who was his identical twin, except for his green clothes and taller stature. Together, they became known as the Mario Bros., and their mission was to save Princess Peach (originally called Princess Toadstool) from the evil King Bowser (originally called King Koopa), who had invaded the Mushroom Kingdom and turned its inhabitants into blocks and enemies. The game was a huge success, selling over 40 million copies worldwide, and revolutionizing the platform genre with its smooth scrolling, colorful graphics, catchy music, and varied gameplay.
Since then, Mario has appeared in many sequels, spin-offs, and crossover games, spanning various consoles and genres. He has also evolved in appearance, personality, and abilities, becoming more detailed, expressive, and versatile. Some of the milestones and achievements of Mario in the gaming industry include:
- The release of Super Mario Bros. 3 in 1988, which introduced new power-ups, such as the Tanooki Suit and the Frog Suit, new enemies, such as the Koopalings and the Chain Chomp, and new worlds, such as the Giant Land and the Sky Land. The game was one of the most anticipated and best-selling NES games, selling over 17 million copies worldwide.
- The debut of Super Mario 64 in 1996, which was the first Mario game to feature 3D graphics and camera control. The game was a launch title for the Nintendo 64, and was widely praised for its innovation, gameplay, and level design. The game also introduced new characters, such as Lakitu, the cameraman, and MIPS, the rabbit, and new moves, such as the wall jump, the long jump, and the triple jump. The game sold over 11 million copies worldwide, and is considered one of the greatest video games of all time.
- The launch of Super Mario Galaxy in 2007, which featured innovative gravity and physics mechanics, allowing Mario to explore various planets and galaxies with different shapes, sizes, and orientations. The game also introduced new power-ups, such as the Bee Mushroom and the Spring Mushroom, new enemies, such as the Octoombas and the Topmen, and new allies, such as the Lumas and Rosalina. The game was a critical and commercial success, selling over 12 million copies worldwide, and winning several awards, including the Game of the Year from various publications.
- The success of Super Mario Odyssey in 2017, which was the first Mario game to feature an open-world sandbox style, allowing Mario to travel to different kingdoms and interact with various environments and characters. The game also introduced a new mechanic, the Capture, which allowed Mario to possess and control various objects, animals, and enemies, using his new friend Cappy, a sentient hat. The game received universal acclaim, and sold over 20 million copies worldwide, making it the best-selling game for the Nintendo Switch.
Related: Eid Al Moalim In Lebanon 2023
Mario Series and Spin-offs
Mario is not only the star of his own platforming series, but also of many other games and genres. He has been featured in racing, party, sports, and crossover games, each with their own gameplay, characters, and features. Here are some of the main games and genres in the Mario series and spin-offs:
- Super Mario, the core platforming series that follows Mario’s adventures in the Mushroom Kingdom and beyond. The series consists of various sub-series, such as the 2D side-scrolling games (e.g. Super Mario Bros., Super Mario World, New Super Mario Bros.), the 3D games (e.g. Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario Galaxy), and the hybrid games (e.g. Super Mario 3D Land, Super Mario 3D World, Super Mario Odyssey). The series is known for its colorful and imaginative worlds, its fun and challenging gameplay, and its iconic power-ups, such as the Super Mushroom, the Fire Flower, the Starman, and the Cape Feather.
- Mario Kart, the racing series that features Mario and his friends competing on various tracks and using items to hinder their opponents. The series started in 1992 with Super Mario Kart for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES), and has since released eight main titles and three spin-offs, for various consoles and handhelds. The series is known for its multiplayer mode, its kart customization, its diverse and creative courses, and its chaotic and unpredictable gameplay. Some of the items in the series include the Banana Peel, the Green Shell, the Lightning Bolt, and the Blue Shell.
- Mario Party, the party game series that consists of mini-games and board game elements. The series started in 1998 with Mario Party for the Nintendo 64, and has since released eleven main titles and four spin-offs, for various consoles and handhelds. The series is known for its multiplayer mode, its variety and difficulty of mini-games, its luck and strategy factors, and its friendship-ruining potential. Some of the mini-games in the series include Bumper Balls, Face Lift, Hexagon Heat, and Bowser’s Big Blast.
- Mario Sports, the sports game series that includes titles such as Mario Tennis, Mario Golf, Mario Strikers, and Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games. The series started in 1995 with Mario’s Tennis for the Virtual Boy, and has since released over 20 titles, for various consoles and handhelds. The series is known for its multiplayer mode, its arcade-style gameplay, its special moves and abilities, and its crossover with other franchises, such as Sonic the Hedgehog, Final Fantasy, and Dragon Quest. Some of the sports in the series include tennis, golf, soccer, baseball, basketball, and winter sports.
- Mario Spin-offs and Crossovers, the games that feature Mario in genres or settings that are different from his usual ones, or that combine him with other characters or franchises. The spin-offs and crossovers include games such as:
- Luigi’s Mansion, the action-adventure game that stars Mario’s brother Luigi as he explores a haunted mansion and captures ghosts with a vacuum cleaner. The game was released in 2001 for the Nintendo GameCube, and has since spawned two sequels, for the Nintendo 3DS and the Nintendo Switch.
- Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, the turn-based strategy game that combines the Mario and Rabbids franchises. The game was released in 2017 for the Nintendo Switch, and features Mario and his friends teaming up with the Rabbids, the chaotic and mischievous creatures from the Rayman series, to restore order to the Mushroom Kingdom, which has been invaded by a mysterious vortex.
- Super Smash Bros., the fighting game series that features characters from various Nintendo and third
- party games, such as Mario characters and stages. The series started in 1999 with Super Smash Bros. for the Nintendo 64, and has since released five titles, for various consoles and handhelds. The series is known for its multiplayer mode, its crossover appeal, its customizable rules and options, and its fan service and references. Some of the characters in the series include Link, Pikachu, Sonic, Cloud, and Banjo-Kazooie.
- Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp, the mobile game that allows players to interact with animal villagers and decorate their campsites, with Mario-themed items and events available. The game was released in 2017 for iOS and Android devices, and is part of the Animal Crossing series, which is a life simulation game that features real-time gameplay and seasonal changes. Some of the Mario items and events in the game include the Super Mushroom, the Fire Flower, the Coin, and the Mario Day celebration.
- Mario in Media and Culture Mario is not only a gaming icon, but also a cultural phenomenon, appearing in various media and influencing popular culture and art. Mario has been featured in movies, TV shows, comics, and merchandise, each with their own style, story, and reception. Here are some of the media and cultural appearances and influences of Mario:
- The Super Mario Bros. Super Show, the live-action and animated TV series that aired in 1989 and featured Mario and Luigi as hosts and heroes. The show consisted of two segments: a live-action segment, where Mario and Luigi interacted with various guests and celebrities in their Brooklyn plumbing shop, and an animated segment, where Mario and Luigi traveled to different worlds and faced various enemies and allies, based on the Super Mario Bros. and The Legend of Zelda games. The show was known for its humor, its catchphrases, such as “Do the Mario” and “Thank you, Mario, but our princess is in another castle”, and its theme song, which was a rap version of the Super Mario Bros. theme.
- The Super Mario Bros. movie, the 1993 live-action film that loosely adapted the game series and starred Bob Hoskins and John Leguizamo as Mario and Luigi. The film followed Mario and Luigi as they traveled to an alternate dimension, where dinosaurs evolved into humanoids, and where they had to stop the evil King Koopa (played by Dennis Hopper) from merging the two worlds and ruling them both. The film was a critical and commercial failure, and was widely criticized for its dark tone, its inconsistent plot, its poor special effects, and its deviation from the game series. The film is considered one of the worst video game adaptations of all time, and was disowned by its cast and crew, including Hoskins, who called it “the worst thing I ever did”.
- The Hollywood Walk of Fame, where Mario received a star in 2005 for his contributions to the entertainment industry. Mario was the first video game character to receive this honor, and his star is located at 6927 Hollywood Boulevard, near the Grauman’s Chinese Theatre. The star was unveiled by Shigeru Miyamoto, who said that Mario “represents the spirit of gaming, which is all about fun”. The star also features Mario’s signature hat and mustache, and his name in the Super Mario font.
- The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon, where Mario creator Shigeru Miyamoto performed the Super Mario theme song with the show’s band, The Roots, in 2016. The performance was part of a segment where Fallon interviewed Reggie Fils-Aimé, the president of Nintendo of America, and showcased the Nintendo Switch and Super Mario Run. The performance was a surprise for Fallon, who is a fan of Nintendo and Mario, and who was visibly excited and amazed by the experience. The performance was also a tribute to the late Nintendo president Satoru Iwata, who passed away in 2015, and who was instrumental in the development of the Nintendo Switch and Super Mario Run.
- Google Maps, where users could navigate the streets with Mario in a kart in 2018 to celebrate Mario Day. The feature was a collaboration between Google and Nintendo, and allowed users to replace the default arrow icon with Mario in his Pipe Frame kart, and to hear Mario’s voice and sound effects as they drove. The feature was available for a limited time, and was activated by tapping on a yellow question mark icon on the app. The feature was also accompanied by a message from Google, which said “Just remember to practice safe driving on the road—we don’t encourage throwing bananas or red shells at other drivers in real life!”.
NATIONAL MARIO DAY IN GLOBALLY WISHES, QUOTES, AND MESSAGES
TOP 20 NATIONAL MARIO DAY IN GLOBALLY WISHES AND GREETINGS
Here are 20 unique National Mario Day wishes and greetings for Globally:
- “Wishing everyone a super National Mario Day! May your day be filled with power-ups, adventure, and of course, lots of mushrooms!”
- “Happy National Mario Day to all the gamers around the world! May your jumps be high, your coins plentiful, and your princess always in another castle.”
- “On this National Mario Day, may your plumbing skills be as legendary as Mario’s, and your courage match that of a plumber saving a princess in a distant kingdom!”
- “It’s-a-me, Mario Day! Wishing you a day filled with warp pipes to success, golden coins of happiness, and the invincibility star of good luck.”
- “Sending you warp-speed wishes on National Mario Day! May your journey be filled with exciting levels, minimal goomba encounters, and maximum high scores.”
- “Happy National Mario Day! May your day be filled with as much joy as finding a 1-Up mushroom and as little drama as successfully navigating a level without falling into pits.”
- “Wishing you a National Mario Day filled with more victories than Bowser defeats, more power-ups than power-downs, and more joy than a Yoshi on a flutter jump!”
- “On this National Mario Day, may your adventures be as epic as Mario’s, your challenges as conquerable as Bowser’s castles, and your victories as sweet as Princess Peach’s smile.”
- “Happy National Mario Day! May your day be filled with as much excitement as a mushroom-powered Mario and as many surprises as a hidden block filled with coins.”
- “Wishing you a National Mario Day filled with as much courage as Mario, as much wisdom as Princess Peach, and as much loyalty as Yoshi.”
- “It’s time to celebrate National Mario Day! May your day be filled with warp pipe shortcuts to success, star power resilience, and the satisfaction of stomping on your challenges like a Goomba.”
- “Happy National Mario Day! May your journey through life be as adventurous and rewarding as Mario’s quest to rescue Princess Peach from the clutches of Bowser.”
- “On this National Mario Day, may you find the courage to face your challenges head-on, the wisdom to navigate tricky situations like a seasoned plumber, and the joy of discovering hidden treasures along the way.”
- “Wishing you a National Mario Day filled with as many power-ups as a Super Mushroom, as much resilience as a Super Star, and as many rewards as a well-earned 1-Up.”
- “Happy National Mario Day! May your day be filled with power jumps, warp pipe shortcuts, and the satisfaction of defeating your personal Bowser.”
- “On this National Mario Day, may you tackle your obstacles with the determination of Mario, find success in every level of life, and enjoy the occasional pause for a well-deserved power-up.”
- “Wishing you a National Mario Day filled with as much joy as discovering a hidden 1-Up, as much success as completing a challenging level, and as much love as Mario has for his Princess Peach.”
- “Happy National Mario Day! May your day be filled with power-packed moments, warp-speed achievements, and the thrill of conquering every level on your journey.”
- “On this National Mario Day, may you navigate life’s challenges with the skill of a seasoned gamer, find joy in every adventure, and collect memories as precious as Mario collects coins.”
- “Wishing you a National Mario Day filled with power slides of success, triple jumps of happiness, and the invincibility star of good fortune guiding you through every level of life.”
Here are 20 unique National Mario Day quotes for Globally:
- “On National Mario Day, remember: Life is an adventure, and sometimes you just need to jump for the stars!”
- “In the game of life, every obstacle is just a stepping stone to your next victory. Happy National Mario Day!”
- “As Mario once said, ‘It’s not about the destination; it’s about the journey.’ Celebrate National Mario Day by embracing the adventure of life.”
- “May your National Mario Day be as epic as Mario’s journey – full of challenges, triumphs, and the occasional mushroom for good measure.”
- “Wishing you a National Mario Day filled with the courage to face your Bowser-sized challenges and the resilience to bounce back like a Super Mario!”
- “On this National Mario Day, let the wisdom of Mario guide you: ‘It’s-a not about how hard you hit; it’s-a about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.'”
- “Life is like a game of Mario Kart – full of unexpected turns, challenging opponents, and the occasional banana peel. Happy National Mario Day!”
- “Celebrate National Mario Day with the mindset of a true gamer: Every setback is a setup for a comeback.”
- “As Mario always says, ‘The princess may be in another castle, but the journey is what makes the victory sweet.’ Happy National Mario Day!”
- “May your National Mario Day be filled with power-ups of positivity, 1-Ups of resilience, and warp pipes to success.”
- “On this National Mario Day, remember that sometimes you have to face a few Goombas before you reach the castle. Keep jumping, keep going!”
- “Wishing you a National Mario Day filled with the determination of Mario, the wisdom of Toad, and the joy of finding your own ‘Super Star’ moments.”
- “In the game of life, every challenge is an opportunity to level up. Happy National Mario Day, and may your power-ups be plentiful!”
- “As Mario teaches us, sometimes you have to take a leap of faith to reach the next platform. Happy National Mario Day, and may your leaps be legendary!”
- “Celebrate National Mario Day with the mantra: ‘No challenge is too great when you have the heart of a hero and the courage to face the unknown.'”
- “On this National Mario Day, embrace the chaos, navigate the obstacles, and remember that every setback is just a setup for a legendary comeback.”
- “May your National Mario Day be filled with as much joy as finding a hidden block and as much success as defeating Bowser in the final showdown.”
- “As Mario once said, ‘It’s time to do the Mario!’ Happy National Mario Day – time to jump, stomp, and conquer the challenges in your path.”
- “Celebrate National Mario Day by remembering that even the longest journey begins with a single jump. Keep leaping towards your dreams!”
- “On this National Mario Day, take a cue from Mario: face your fears, overcome the obstacles, and celebrate the small victories along the way.”
Here are 20 unique National Mario Day messages for Globally:
In this article, we have explored the legacy and impact of Mario on the gaming world and beyond, and celebrated his special day: National Mario Day. We have seen how Mario started as a simple character in an arcade game, and became the most popular and influential video game character of all time. We have also seen how Mario has starred in various games and genres, and how he has appeared in various media and culture. Mario is not just a gaming icon, he is also a cultural phenomenon, and a source of joy and inspiration for millions of fans around the world. As Mario himself would say, “It’s-a me, Mario!” And as we would say, “Happy National Mario Day!