Join us in Japan as we revel in the magic of National Cat Day, where whiskers, purrs, and endless love reign supreme.
- Date: February 22th
- Main Components: Cat-themed events, activities, and products
- Popularity: High among cat lovers and enthusiasts
- Pairings: Neko no Hi (Cat Day) and Nyan Nyan Nyan Day (Meow Meow Meow Day)
- Variations: Different dates and names for cat-related celebrations in other countries
- National Cat Day is an annual event that celebrates and honors the feline companions that enrich our lives with their charm, beauty, and personality.
- National Cat Day was founded in 2005 by Colleen Paige, a family lifestyle expert and animal welfare advocate, who wanted to raise awareness and funds for the millions of cats that are in need of rescue and adoption.
- National Cat Day is celebrated on different dates and under different names in various countries, but the main idea is the same: to show appreciation and compassion for the cats that share our homes and our hearts.
- In this article, we will focus on how National Cat Day is celebrated in Japan, a country that has a long and rich history of feline culture and admiration.
Related: Founding Day In Saudi Arabia 2023
The Origin and History of National Cat Day in Japan
- National Cat Day in Japan is also known as Neko no Hi, which literally means “Cat Day” in Japanese. It is celebrated on February 22 every year, since the date can be pronounced as “ni-ni-ni” in Japanese, which sounds like “nyan-nyan-nyan”, the onomatopoeia for the sound of a cat’s meow.
- The first official celebration of Neko no Hi was in 1987, when the Executive Cat Day Committee, a group of cat enthusiasts and celebrities, declared February 22 as the national day for cats. The committee also organized various events and activities to promote cat welfare and culture, such as cat shows, cat photo contests, cat art exhibitions, and cat adoption drives.
- Since then, Neko no Hi has become a popular and widely recognized event in Japan, attracting the attention and participation of millions of cat lovers, animal welfare groups, and businesses. Neko no Hi has also helped to raise awareness and funds for the issues and challenges that cats face in Japan, such as overpopulation, abandonment, abuse, and injuries.
The Activities and Celebrations of National Cat Day in Japan
- There are many ways that people celebrate Neko no Hi in Japan, depending on their preferences and interests. Some of the common and popular activities and celebrations are:
- Visiting cat cafes, where customers can enjoy coffee and snacks while interacting with resident cats. Cat cafes are a booming business in Japan, with more than 150 establishments across the country, offering a variety of services and themes, such as cat yoga, cat cosplay, and cat therapy.
- Buying or making cat-themed products, such as clothing, accessories, stationery, confectionery, and novelty items. Many shops and online platforms offer special discounts and promotions for cat-related merchandise on Neko no Hi, catering to the demand and taste of cat lovers.
- Sharing cat photographs and videos on social media platforms, such as Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube. Many cat owners and fans use the hashtag #猫の日 (Neko no Hi) to post and view cat pictures and clips, showing off their feline friends and their antics. Some of the most famous and popular cats on the internet are from Japan, such as Maru, the Scottish Fold who loves boxes, and Hana, his adorable companion.
- Donating or volunteering for cat rescue organizations and shelters, such as the Japan Cat Network, the Japan Animal Trust, and the Japan Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. These organizations work hard to provide care and protection for the cats that are in need of help, especially the stray and feral cats that live in the streets and rural areas. They also advocate for the spaying and neutering of cats, as well as the adoption and fostering of cats, to reduce the cat population and the suffering of cats.
Related: Crime Victims Day In Europe 2023
The Feline Charm and Culture of National Cat Day in Japan
- Neko no Hi is not only a celebration of the feline charm and culture that is admired and appreciated by many people, but also a reflection and promotion of it. Japan has a long and rich history of feline culture and admiration, dating back to ancient times, when cats were revered and worshiped as sacred and supernatural creatures.
- Cats have influenced and inspired various aspects of art, literature, folklore, and religion in Japan, such as:
- The maneki-neko, or the beckoning cat, a figurine of a cat with one paw raised, that is believed to bring luck and fortune to its owner. The maneki-neko can be seen in many shops, restaurants, and homes, as well as in temples and shrines, where people pray for their wishes to come true.
- The bakeneko, or the monster cat, a mythical creature that can shape-shift, speak human language, and possess people. The bakeneko is often featured in stories, legends, and art, as a trickster, a villain, or a guardian, depending on the context and interpretation.
- The nekomata, or the forked cat, a type of bakeneko that has two tails and can manipulate the dead. The nekomata is also a common subject of folklore and art, as a powerful and dangerous being that can cause havoc and mischief.
- The nekojin, or the cat people, a term that refers to the people who have a fondness and affinity for cats, as well as the people who have cat-like features or abilities. The nekojin are often portrayed in manga, anime, and video games, as cute, playful, and loyal characters, or as fierce, agile, and cunning warriors.
- Some of the famous and popular cats that have become internet sensations, celebrities, and symbols of luck and prosperity in Japan are:
- Tama, the stationmaster cat, a calico cat who was appointed as the honorary stationmaster of Kishi Station in Wakayama Prefecture in 2007. Tama wore a stationmaster’s hat and greeted the passengers who came to see her. Tama became a national icon and a tourist attraction, boosting the revenue and reputation of the railway line. Tama died in 2015, but her legacy lives on through her successors and her statues.
- Nyao, the library cat, a black and white cat who was adopted by the staff of the Fukuoka City Nishi Ward Library in Fukuoka Prefecture in 2016. Nyao became a regular visitor and a resident of the library, where he entertained and comforted the library patrons and the employees. Nyao also became a social media star, with his own Twitter and Instagram accounts, where he posted his daily activities and photos.
- Kishi, the helicopter cat, a ginger cat who was rescued by the staff of the As365n2 Helicopter Company in Fukuoka Prefecture in 2018. Kishi became the mascot and the co-pilot of the company, accompanying the pilots and the passengers on their flights. Kishi also became a media sensation, with his own YouTube channel, where he showed his aerial views and adventures.
NATIONAL CAT DAY IN JAPAN WISHES, QUOTES, AND MESSAGES
TOP 20 NATIONAL CAT DAY IN JAPAN WISHES AND GREETINGS
Here are 20 unique National Day wishes and greetings for Japan:
- Happy National Cat Day in Japan! May your feline friend bring you endless joy and purrfect companionship.
- On this special day, let’s celebrate our whiskered pals and the happiness they bring into our lives. Happy National Cat Day, Japan!
- Wishing all the cat lovers in Japan a day filled with cuddles, meows, and endless love. Happy National Cat Day!
- May your kitty’s antics and affection make this National Cat Day in Japan truly memorable. Enjoy the purrs and playtime!
- To all the cat owners in Japan, may your little lion or princess be spoiled with treats and affection on this special day. Happy National Cat Day!
- Celebrate the grace and charm of your beloved feline companion on National Cat Day in Japan. They truly make life more colorful.
- On this day, let’s give our furry friends some extra chin scratches and chin rubs. Happy National Cat Day, Japan!
- Happy National Cat Day to all the cat parents out there! May your cats’ cuteness always bring a smile to your face.
- Here’s to the loyal, loving, and sometimes feisty cats of Japan. Happy National Cat Day, and may your day be as special as your furry friend.
- On National Cat Day in Japan, let’s honor our purry buddies and thank them for their endless affection and loyalty.
- To all the cat enthusiasts in Japan, may your feline companions keep you warm with their cuddles and fill your heart with joy. Happy National Cat Day!
- Happy National Cat Day to all the fur-tastic felines and their devoted owners in Japan. May your day be filled with furry cuddles.
- Here’s to the pawsome cats of Japan, who bring happiness and warmth to our homes. Happy National Cat Day!
- On this special day, may your cat’s playfulness and curiosity bring endless laughter to your life. Happy National Cat Day, Japan!
- Let’s cherish the moments with our beloved cats on National Cat Day in Japan, as they make life better in every way.
- May the whiskers, paws, and purrs of your cat bring you comfort and love on this National Cat Day in Japan.
- On this day, give your cat an extra treat and let them know how much you appreciate their presence in your life. Happy National Cat Day!
- Happy National Cat Day to all the cat enthusiasts in Japan! May your cats continue to be the light of your life.
- Let’s celebrate the elegance and charm of our feline friends on National Cat Day in Japan. They truly deserve it.
- On this National Cat Day, let’s thank our cats for being the true kings and queens of our hearts. Enjoy every moment with your furry royalty!
TOP 20 NATIONAL CAT DAY IN JAPAN QUOTES
Here are 20 unique National Day quotes for Japan:
- “In a world full of uncertainties, cats provide the purrfect comfort and consistency.”
- “Cats make ordinary moments extraordinary, and that’s worth celebrating on National Cat Day.”
- “The grace of a cat is a beautiful reminder that sometimes, the best things in life are simple and elegant.”
- “Every day is a little brighter with a cat’s love and a cozy lap.”
- “A cat’s eyes are windows to a world of magic, mystery, and mischief.”
- “Cats may have nine lives, but they give us one life full of joy and love.”
- “A cat’s purr is a lullaby for the soul, soothing our worries away.”
- “National Cat Day reminds us that in a world of chaos, the quiet presence of a cat can be our sanctuary.”
- “Cats teach us to appreciate the beauty in simplicity and the power of silence.”
- “Felines are not just pets; they are family, confidants, and companions.”
- “Cats are like a good book; they captivate your heart and take you on unforgettable adventures.”
- “Cats are the silent poets of our lives, leaving their paw prints on our hearts.”
- “A cat’s love is timeless, and it only grows stronger with each passing National Cat Day.”
- “Cats are the ultimate therapists, always ready to lend an ear and offer comfort without judgment.”
- “In the world of cats, every day is National Cat Day because they are the true rulers of our hearts.”
- “The love of a cat is like a warm, cozy blanket for the soul.”
- “Cats don’t need to speak to be understood; their presence says it all.”
- “Cats remind us that independence and affection can coexist beautifully.”
- “National Cat Day is a reminder to appreciate the simplicity of a cat’s purrs and the complexity of our love for them.”
- “Cats are the ultimate gift that keeps on giving, and National Cat Day is a day to cherish that gift.”
TOP 20 NATIONAL CAT DAY IN JAPAN MESSAGES/SMS
Here are 20 unique National Day messages for Japan:
- “Happy National Cat Day in Japan! May your feline friend’s whiskers and warmth brighten your day.”
- “To all the cat lovers in Japan, let’s celebrate the joy and comfort our cats bring into our lives on this National Cat Day!”
- “Wishing you a paw-sitively delightful National Cat Day filled with the soft purrs and playful antics of your beloved feline companion.”
- “On this special day, may your cat’s presence be a reminder of the peace and happiness they bring into your world. Happy National Cat Day, Japan!”
- “National Cat Day is a reminder to cherish the quiet moments and the loving meows that make life sweeter. Enjoy your day with your fur baby.”
- “To the cats of Japan, you make our lives richer with your purrs, and we celebrate you on this National Cat Day!”
- “Cats bring a touch of magic to our lives. Happy National Cat Day, Japan, and may your day be filled with enchantment!”
- “On National Cat Day, let’s honor our furry friends who fill our lives with love, laughter, and endless cuddles.”
- “Here’s to the extraordinary cats of Japan, who make our ordinary days extraordinary. Happy National Cat Day!”
- “May your National Cat Day be filled with feline love, whisker kisses, and lots of cozy cat-naps.”
- “National Cat Day is a purr-fect occasion to express gratitude for the endless companionship and warmth your cat provides.”
- “Cats are like a soothing melody in the symphony of life. Happy National Cat Day, Japan, and enjoy the harmony your cat brings.”
- “Wishing you a day as wonderful as your cat’s purr and as playful as their antics. Happy National Cat Day!”
- “Cats may not understand our language, but they speak the language of the heart. Happy National Cat Day in Japan!”
- “On this special day, may your cat’s charm and charisma brighten every corner of your home. Happy National Cat Day!”
- “National Cat Day is a reminder to celebrate the four-legged family members who make our lives whole. Enjoy every moment with your beloved cat.”
- “Cats have a way of making even the toughest days feel better. Happy National Cat Day to all the cat enthusiasts in Japan!”
- “Let’s take a moment to appreciate the silent but profound bond we share with our cats on this National Cat Day in Japan.”
- “To all the cat parents in Japan, may your day be filled with cuddles, headbutts, and the unmistakable love of your furry friend.”
- “National Cat Day is a day of gratitude for the fluffy companions who make our hearts lighter and our lives brighter. Cheers to our wonderful cats!”
National Cat Day is an annual event that celebrates and honors the feline companions that enrich our lives with their charm, beauty, and personality. It is also a day to raise awareness and funds for the millions of cats that are in need of rescue and adoption. National Cat Day is celebrated on different dates and under different names in various countries, but the main idea is the same: to show appreciation and compassion for the cats that share our homes and our hearts. In Japan, National Cat Day is celebrated on February 22, as Neko no Hi, or Cat Day, with various events, activities, and products that showcase and promote the feline charm and culture that is admired and appreciated by many people. Japan has a long and rich history of feline culture and admiration, dating back to ancient times, when cats were revered and worshiped as sacred and supernatural creatures. Japan also has some of the most famous and popular cats that have become internet sensations, celebrities, and symbols of luck and prosperity. If you are a cat lover, or if you are curious about the feline charm and culture of Japan, you might want to join the celebration of National Cat Day in Japan, or in any other country that celebrates it. You might also want to learn more about the issues and challenges that cats face in Japan, or in any other country, and how you can help them. You might also want to adopt or foster a cat, or donate or volunteer for a cat rescue organization or shelter, and make a difference in the lives of these amazing animals. After all, cats are not only our pets, but also our friends, our family, and our inspiration.